PTI may delay ‘Islamabad siege’

0

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) is poised to delay the already-set deadline of October 30 for launching its avowed siege of Islamabad, The News has learnt.

The party’s core committee will decide the issue in its meeting on October 16 or 17. Already, the date of the Raiwind march was changed twice. It goes without saying that the reason of having a second thought is not the fact that October 30 falls on Sunday, when all the government and private offices remain closed. There is more to what meets the eye.

“Some people have suggested the change of date of our programme. However, as of now, the date remains unchanged,” PTI’s Central Information Secretary Nameeul Haq told The News in a terse reply to an SMS, as he could not reply to a call on his cell phone.

It is learnt that during the meeting, chaired by Imran at his residence, some PTI leaders were of the view that to post an impressive show and paralyse life in the federal capital, it was not advisable to hold the event as planned on October 30.

PTI chairman agreed to consider this proposal. However, under local MNA Asad Umar, a committee has been formed to chalk out a strategy on how to ensure shut-down in Islamabad on that particular day.

“Imran intends to relive sit-in of 2014, if Prime Minister does not comes up with a way out of Panama Leaks tangle,” claimed a senior PTI leader, requesting anonymity. It being speculated that the change of date has also been considered after Pakistan Awami Tehreek’s supremo Dr Tahirul Qadri showed no interest whatsoever in PTI’s planned programme in the federal capital. Key PTI leaders had to face disappointment, as Dr. Qadri left London without even seeing them, who wanted to again invite him for the October 30 programme.

Lahore correspondent adds: Sources in the party, which convened a meeting in Islamabad Thursday for discussing the issue, have thought of delaying the deadline in view of the internal and external threats to the country. Though no formal decision was taken on it, it was learnt the party might defer the call for a couple of days. A delay of a week could not be ruled out either.

Sources in the party said it was already on the cards and the Thursday’s meeting was convened to formalise a decision in this regard. The party’s core committee will be meeting again wherein, it is expected, the decision to this effect might be taken. Nevertheless, no official word was dropped over the issue by the party on Thursday.

 —Originally published in The News

 

Comments

comments

Leave A Reply