ICC expects Pak-India match to go through despite tensions

0

LONDON: The International Cricket Council is confident the June 16 World Cup match between Pakistan and India will go ahead despite last week’s attack in Indian-occupied Kashmir (IoK), said chief executive David Richardson.

A suicide bomber on February 14 attacked a paramilitary police convoy in Pulwama killing at least 40 in the deadliest single assault on Indian forces in 30 years unrest in the disputed region.

Indian fans have demanded boycotting the marquee match in England though neither of the cricket boards has publicly expressed any such desire.

“Certainly there are no indications any of the matches, including the Pakistan-India match, will not be played as planned at the World Cup,” ICC chief executive David Richardson told Cricinfo.

“But … we will continue to monitor the situation.”

ICC is the world governing body for the game. Pakistan and India are scheduled to clash at Old Trafford in Manchester in what would be one of the most eagerly-anticipated matches at the May 30-July 14 tournament.

More than 400,000 applications had been made for the 25,000 tickets available for the match, organisers said.

“To put that in perspective, England v Australia was around 230-240,000,” World Cup tournament director Steve Elworthy told Cricinfo.

“And the final was around about 260-270,000 applications for tickets.”

So that gives you a bit of perspective for the demand for this match. “It’s a big game.”

Source

Comments

comments

No tags for this post.

Leave A Reply