At least seven policemen were killed and 22 people injured in an explosion in the Sariab Mill area on the Quetta-Sibbi Road on Wednesday.
According to initial reports, security sources claimed a roadside bomb exploded just as a police vehicle carrying 35 police personnel passed the area, DawnNews reported. However, the nature of the blast has yet to be ascertained.
Civil Hospital Quetta Spokesperson Wasim Baig confirmed seven casualties and said that eight injured had been brought to the medical facility where emergency has been imposed.
Balochistan Home Minister Sarfaraz Bugti while condemning the attack confirmed that six policemen had lost their lives in the attack while 22 others were injured and being treated at the Civil Hospital and Combined Military Hospital (CMH) in Quetta.
Briefing the media about the incident the home minister said that the contingent that was affected by the explosion was recently assigned the responsibility of routinely patrolling various sensitive areas and were on their way to work when the blast occurred.
Bugti said a forensic team from Lahore would arrive in Quetta tomorrow to help determine the cause of the blast.
“The war against terrorism is not over. Balochistan is on the forefront of this fight and we will not stop until there is not a single terrorist left in the area,” the home minister said.
He added: “These cowardly attacks will not hinder our security forces in executing their duties.”
Security forces have reached the location and cordoned off the area, and a security sweep is underway.
In a separate incident, Police Inspector Abdul Salam was shot dead on Quetta’s Qambrani road, in what security sources claim was a target killing.
Balochistan has experienced incidents of violence and targeted killings for over a decade. In recent months, the province has faced a number of security challenges, with security personnel in the province often being targeted in roadside explosions and suicide attacks.
Fifteen people, including eight soldiers, were martyredwhen a suicide bomber targeted a military truck near the Pishin bus stop in Quetta on August 13.
Earlier in June, 14 people ─ including seven policemen ─ lost their lives in a suicide blast that shook Shuhada Chowk in Quetta’s Gulistan Road area.
This is a developing story that is being updated as the situation evolves. Initial reports in the media can sometimes be inaccurate. We will strive to ensure timeliness and accuracy by relying on credible sources such as concerned, qualified authorities and our staff reporters.