LAHORE: At least 59 people were killed and several were injured in a suicide blast outside Gulshan-e-Iqbal Park in Lahore on Sunday evening.
According to initial reports, the blast took place near gate no 1 of the mentioned park. At least 120 people have been reportedly injured in the incident.
Police and rescue personnel have reached the incident site and have cordoned off the area.
Army contingent has also reached the blast site to help with rescue efforts.
“At least 10 people have been killed in a blast outside Gulshan Iqbal Park,” Jam Sajjad Hussain, spokesperson for Recuse 112 told Reuters, adding that more than 30 people were injured and had been taken to various hospitals in the city.
“We cannot rule out that this was a suicide attack but things will be clear soon,” Haider Ashraf DIG Operations Lahore said.
Ashraf also said that the site’s clearance operation has ended.
It has also been confirmed that it was a suicide blast that ripped through the park when it was teeming with visitors.
“At least 38 people were killed and more than 100 are injured,” Mustansar Feroz, superintedent of police for the area told Reuters. “Most of the dead and injured are women and children.” Rescue officials said more than 30 dead bodies had been taken to hospitals around the city.
A police official told The Express Tribune that the blast took place when visitors were coming out of the park.
The injured are being shifted to private medical facility nearby.