PESHAWAR: Over 200 students of Karnal Sher Khan Cadet College in Swabi fell sick due to food poisoning on Sunday night, with over 150 being admitted to hospitals for treatment.
Students in their statements recalled that they consumed snacks includingsamosas and pakoras on Sunday evening, and ate biryani for dinner. One of the affected students said that the students had biryani and cold drinks for dinner, and just after finishing it they began vomiting and experienced severe pain in their abdomens.
District Health Officer (DHO) Dr Niaz Muhammad said over 200 students were affected by food poisoning, of which 181 were referred to various hospitals in Mardan.
The rest received checkups inside the school, he said. Most students who had been admitted to hospitals were stable and have been discharged, the DHO said.
According to college personnel, exams had been under way but due to the incident, Monday’s exams for grades up to class 10 have been cancelled. The school will remained closed today. Up to 600 cadets are enrolled at the cadet college.
Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Health Minister Shahram Tarakai said that all the affected students had been declared out of danger after receiving initial treatment. Tarakai added that medical teams rushed to the college and gave first aid to the affected students when they first learned of the incident.
He added that some 180 students were shifted to Mardan Medical Complex and 30 others students were transported to CMH Mardan.
DPO Swabi Javed Iqbal told DawnNews that samples of the food have been sent for laboratory tests and results are awaited. The DPO said that kitchen staffers are under observation. However, no arrests have been made as yet.